Bill East wrote:
> John Briggs wrote:
>>
>> In the Sarum Use, Double Feasts are classified as Principal doubles,
>> Major doubles, Minor doubles, and Inferior doubles.
>
> And would you be so kind as to explain to us exactly what these terms
> mean? They do make the liturgy sound ever-so-slightly like a tennis
> tournament. No doubt in a small convent there would be just the
> ladies' singles.

I still have the sensation of being teased in some obscure way!  The terms
don't "mean" anything (it's a classification system: the names are just
labels).  I hope it is common ground that there are Double and Simple feasts
(why there should be, of course, is another question).  To take the mid-20th
century Roman (Tridentine) Calendar as a (rough) comparison:

Principal doubles correspond to Doubles of the First Class
Major doubles correspond to Doubles of the Second Class
Minor doubles correspond to Double Majors (Doubles Major?)
Inferior doubles correspond to Doubles
Simple feasts correspond to Semi-doubles
Feasts without rulers correspond to Simple feasts.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]