Jim and Richard,

I certainly hope you continue your dialogue as it's very interesting. I
think, though, that there might be a problem with the relatively modern term
"urban legend," which means for all intents and purposes a story that is
assuredly not true. It is unfortunate that both "legend" and "myth" have
come to mean "nonsense" or even "lie" in general (non-scholarly) usage.
However, scholars use "legend" and "myth" with their original meanings, so
those terms are less problematic than "urban legend," a term that has, I
believe, only recently come into vogue. Perhaps, a change in terminology
would be helpful.
In this vein, I would also point out that, because of the list's recent
discussion of "DaVinci Code," I just finished Ehrman's book on the subject
of fact and fiction therein and he discusses exactly the sort of issues you
both bring up about sources, what to trust, what to discard, and why. Of
course, he's dealing with sources a good deal older than our period of
interest...
MG

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]