I have just returned from El Salvador where I spent a great deal of time in schools; the experiences were amazing.  I was in very remote places where, after hanging on in a truck while driving forever, a school would materialize out of nowhere.   All were behind gates or locked gates in heavy adobe walls and were made of simple materials (adobe or concrete block) with an open space for play surrounded by classrooms.  There were trenches for water runoff in the "rainy season" that ran along the exterior of the classroom walls.  Classrooms had no glass windows but instead had facing openings at the roofline, along the full length of each classroom, covered with large gauge metal screening.  In this hot climate, natural ventilation is the norm.  The organization of the building was driven through need, the addition of grade levels, and climatic conditions.  Although I am told that there are some schools designed by architects, these must be located in the city of San Salvador, or perhaps Santa Ana; I saw none during the time I was in the country.

The school day runs from 7:30 AM to 11 or 11:30 AM.
In days when the teacher does not come to teach (problems getting to school as a result of weather or lack of transportation, for instance), the children play outdoors until the school day ends.  Classes are generally in overcrowded conditions, a ratio of 30-40 students to one teacher is typical.  The crowded conditions do not allow for creative seating arrangements.  Most desks are arranged in traditional rows with autocratic implications.  There are no books, and few teaching materials, if any.  Most children walk a great distance to get to school; walking an hour or more to school is not unusual.  Despite these conditions, they are washed and well groomed and wearing clean and ironed uniforms.

Grouping of grades in schools varies.  Some group children in K-8, while others serve children in K-5, 6-8, and 9-12.  Given these conditions, the inference would seem to be that there is little or no influence of schools outside of those in El Salvador on the physical organization of the educational facilities, or classroom instruction observed there.
Children do not eat in school.  There are no facilities for collective activities when the entire student body might come together.  The children are cheerful and welcoming.

In schools where there was a camera there were typical school photos on the wall near what was serving as the admin. office.  These were very typical of those you would see in the US, in the 1950's and 1960's: individual portraits taken in 3/4 view, in a large matte with individual cutouts holding/framing each image.  The entire class photos are contained in one big frame.  All children are in uniforms, neatly turned out (which was amazing in that there is no running water for most and certainly no washing machine, etc.)  In schools where there was no camera the children were eager to have their pictures taken, an "impromptu portrait" which will be mounted on a wall in the school.  The adults asked for the same and these photos will be hung outside the admin. office.  All of this is obviously very typical of practices elsewhere.  The children were very aware of the typical "pose," without prompting.  It was unlikely they had experienced this ritual, or had seen a school photo; they walk miles to attend school and do not leave the area, unless the family goes into the volcanic mountains to pick coffee.  I found it interesting that they knew "what to do" without direction (my Spanish didn't go far enough to communicate easily with them.)  There are no televisions, phones or cellphones in these areas; most adults walk for miles into the volcanic mountains to pick coffee.

I took photos of the school photos on the walls, the schools themselves, the students, and remarkable hand drawn plans/diagrams of the school organizations and I'll can post them when they are processed if this is of interest to any listserve subscribers.

Claire Gallagher
Georgian Court University
Lakewood, NJ
USA