Hi Clare,

Surrey has a County-wide series of designated areas of three classes,
denoting archaeological potential, known archaeological sites, and
Scheduled Monuments. These areas are supplied to the district and borough
councils in full, and used by them as a trigger for planning consultations.
These designations also appear in the Local Plans and are backed up by
policy. As far as I know, the areas were originally hand-drawn onto maps
(in the dark days before GIS) , and then later created as a GIS layer for
our use - I'm not sure how the districts manage the information digitally,
but I assume that most of them have done something similar to enable
accurate consultations. If we need to update an area or create a new one,
we write to the head of development control at the district council, with
an annotated paper map attached to the letter.

In tandem with this, we also run a system of requiring archaeological
investigation on sites over a certain size if you're worried about losing
the potential ability to investigate interesting or noteworthy sites
outside such designated areas. This also appears as a policy in the County
Structure Plan Local Plans, and generally means that archaeology doesn't
get overlooked or under-resourced on large scale development projects. It
is also pretty successful at identifying hitherto unknown sites. Let me
know if you want more info on how this all works - probably better off list
so as not to bore everyone else with planning talk.

Cheers,

Tony

                      Clare Gathercole
                      <Clare.Gathercole@SHROPSHIRE        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      -CC.GOV.UK>                         cc:
                      Sent by: Issues related to          Subject:  Consultation trigger data for planning autoreferral systems
                      Sites & Monuments Records

                      26/01/05 11:33
                      Please respond to Issues
                      related to Sites & Monuments
                      Records

Hello everyone,

We are coming under pressure from some of our Districts to provide them
with archaeological consultation trigger data, in the form of a GIS layer
which can be used in a planning autoreferral system. In recent years we
have not provided trigger maps to the Districts at all, so are more or less
starting from scratch at this point. Does anyone have any experience of
generating GIS trigger data from SMR layers, either generally or,
especially, in relation to autoreferral systems? We would be very grateful
for any advice on sustainable methodologies and possible pitfalls.

Regards
Clare

Any opinions expressed in this e-mail or any attached files
are those of the individual, and not necessarily those of
Shropshire County Council.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the addressee.  This
communication may contain material protected by law from
being passed on.  If you are not the intended recipient and
have received this e-mail in error, you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the IT Technology Services
Manager at Shropshire County Council, telephone 01743 252131

http://www.shropshireonline.gov.uk

This email and any attachments with it are intended for the addressee only.
It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or professional privilege.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or [log in to unmask]
The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position.
Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming and outgoing mail.
Whilst every care has been taken to check this outgoing e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any checks upon receipt.

Visit the Surrey County Council website - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk