-----Original Message-----
From: Economics, business, and related subjects
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jim Riley
Sent: 06 January 2005 20:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Another duncanwil.co.uk update

Jocelyn - your reply raised some interesting points from my perspective.
Things seem to be done a bit differently in academia!  This is of relevance
to students, since many will hope to move into the commercial world - where
the rules seem to be different.

Jocelyn wrote:

"I believe Duncan is here setting a good example for education, not a bad.
One way, though not the only, that research proceeds, is by criticism: a
researcher finds what they perceive to be flaws in some constructed
object, dissect it, and publish the results of the dissection in the hope
that such flaws will be avoided in future. For the criticism to be
intelligible to readers, the thing dissected must be visible. Papers often
comment on earlier publications, quoting portions so that the comments can
be seen alongside the thing commented upon. As long as the papers cite the
source, that's accepted to be OK. What's really setting a bad example to
students is telling them there are some areas of life where criticism must
be moderated because they are not permitted to exhibit the thing they're
criticising. You always have the right to argue back."

To be fair, I wasn't really making a point about the right to criticise or
not.  Of course, I don't like Duncan's criticism - because I take things
far too personally and I dont agree with his points.  But I don't recall
suggesting that criticism should be moderated.

My point was really a commercial one rather than an academic one. Surely we
have the right to request that our copyrighted and trademark-protected
materials are not simply copied or reproduced without permission.  Surely a
hyperlink to the offending materials would suffice so that
students/teachers can judge for themselves what laws of charting have been
broken?  And why on earth would anyone deface those materials by plastering
a "fundmental error alert" headline over the materials.  Is that also
standard academic practice?  Would students gain or lose marks in an exam
for that?  Is that what they are taught to do?

For "exhibit" - many in the commercial world looking at this thread would
read "copying and pasting without permission

If the unauthorised copying and pasting of materials into an academic
publication is standard practice, then I apologise for my ignorance.

And if the protection afforded by copyright and trademarks really is a
sham, then there is lots of work coming the way of academia to rewrite the
textbooks.

I think copying things without permission is a bad thing for students to be
taught.  That was my point.  And I don't want our materials copied into a
commercial or "academic" publication by Duncan without my permission.

Jim