> Dan,
>         It's a deal.  If we can solve the presented cases, we'll see if
> we can have an official DC Date working group meeting in Bucharest, and
> you can buy us all a round ;)

Deal ! (Bucharest or not !)

> Tricky cases:
> a) sometimes I want to say: something happened during the x-y period
> b) sometimes I want to say: something happened sometime between x and
> y.
>
> I take this to mean that the period (which presumably has fixed
> terminal points) encompasses the terminal points of an event, but one
> or both of the event's span may be less than span between the period's
> terminal points.  Hmm... seems slighty different than approximate --
> sort of a soft terminal points problem. Might be a new category for us
> to add to the list?

Yes and yes. Examples:

a) a novel was written between 1853 and 1856, i.e. started in 1853,
finished in 1856 (with nice variations, such as 1853(?) and 1856);
b) a person was born some day between July 12 and July 22 1853; not to
mention: it took him 15 month to write the novel, sometime between 1853
and 1856 :-)

> May we assume Dan would be good for a second round of beers if we
> solved these too? ;)
> Eric

Sound assumption.

Dan