> CALL FOR PAPERS
> 2005 RGS/IBG conference, 31st August - 2nd September 2005,
> London
>
> Reclaiming the state: feminism beyond the local-global
>
> Sponsored by the Women in Geography Study Group
>

> Recently there has been an explosion of interest in geographic scale, in no small part a result of the need to come to terms with the intensified global interdependency of lived experiences and the apparent contradictions that global flows pose to the nation-state.  In trying to come to terms with this complexity feminists have tended to marginalize the state as a level of analysis and as a site of social and political claims.  At the same time as the state has slipped out of the picture, the focus has turned to the local-global which has too often been crystallized in a series of binaries that oppose the local as feminine to the global as masculine.  One of the most problematic consequences is that although feminists have traditionally critiqued binaries, such as the public-private, at this current juncture we are at risk of reproducing these limiting conceptual categories.   We are both failing to take seriously the potential of the state as a site of political claims whilst assuming that feminist politics operates most readily at the local level.  We invite varied papers that reflect on these tensions, their theoretical and political implications, and the possibilities of moving beyond restrictive binaries.
>
> If you are interested in participating, please send your expression of interest to Clare Newstead ([log in to unmask]) or Eleonore Kofman ([log in to unmask]) at Nottingham Trent University as soon as possible. Final abstracts (max 200 words) are due by January 25th.
>

> Clare Newstead
> Lecturer in Geography
> GE 235, School of Arts, Communication and Culture
> Nottingham Trent University
> Clifton Lane, Nottingham
> NG11 8NS
> Ph: +44 115 848 3105
> Fax: +44 115 848 6385

DISCLAIMER:
This email is intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain private and confidential information.  If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone.  In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error.  Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.
Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free.  This is in keeping with good computing practice.