Apologies for cross posting:

ANNOUNCING: TWO E-LEARNING CONFERENCES, OXFORD UNIVERSITY
7th and 8th April
Said Business School

1) The Shock of the Old 5: Implementing Innovation

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/events/shock2005/

2) Beyond the Red Tape: Are the needs of governments,
educational institutions, and learners inherently at odds?

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/events/beyond2005/

The Shock of the Old 5: Implementing Innovation
One-Day Conference on Educational Technologies

University of Oxford, Said Business School, 7th April
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/events/shock2005/

*** Call for papers & Registration ***

The Learning Technologies Group at Oxford University Computing Services is
pleased to announce our fifth annual one-day conference on educational
technologies. Shock 5 will explore the issues arising from using
educational technology to bring about innovation in academic practice.

Rather than concentrate solely on the technology itself, papers are
invited that will additionally discuss the cultural and
organisational factors which hinder innovation from occurring. What
are the key factors that impact on the implementation and adoption of
innovation in e-learning?

Proposals in the following areas are particularly encouraged:

*Empowering students to create their own learning resources, from
simple web sites to creating their own computer games

*Using novel forms of assessment, particularly initiatives to replace
summative assessment by paper based examinations

*Sharing and self-publishing academic content, in particular managing
the legality of publishing through unconventional means

*Personal publishing for students. What issues arise if students are
introduced to discussion boards, weblogs and Personal Development
Planners?

*Utilising new channels of communication. Are PDAs, mobile phones and
handheld devices useful tools in our armoury

Registration is now open.  Please visit the website for more information and
the booking form.

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/events/shock2005/

Refreshments and lunch are included in the price: 80.00 (academic); 200.00
(commercial); 40.00 (members of Oxford University)

Beyond the Red Tape: Are the needs of governments,
educational institutions, and learners inherently at odds?

One-Day Debate on Educational Technologies

University of Oxford, Said Business School, 8th April
http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/events/beyond2005/

Organised by the Learning Technologies Group, University of Oxford

Sponsored by the JISC Committee for Learning and Teaching

Digital technologies have the potential to radically change the way we
learn and form knowledge. We need to understand how the procedures and
policies that have been built up within educational institutions over the
past should be changed to exploit the capabilities that technology is now
able to provide. Learners are no longer constrained by local geography
because they can easily engage in discussion with anyone with access to a
phone line. The written style of narrative no longer needs to be the main
format for expressing ideas, learners can create and share pictorial
representations of their understanding through graphing and computer
gaming toolkits.  Searching across networked computers gives learners
access to quantities of information that dwarf the capabilities of
physical libraries.

We are beginning to see how digital technologies could transform the way
we run libraries and how academics publish their research. Teachers and
learners are starting to interact with learners through a wide range of
modes other than in person in the classroom. Technical innovations could
also be requiring us to take a long look at the way we assess learners.
Researchers are even beginning to ask whether the traditional essay should
be replaced by asking learners to create a computer game that conveys
their ideas and research! We need to ask if the policies that govern
practice in our institutions today merely support the way we used to
learn, and if they are evolving fast enough to exploit the possibilities
that technology now provides.

The day will comprise of two debates: in the morning we will get a chance
to listen to the views of real learners at schools and university who will
debate the question:

"Should technology revolutionize education?"

In the afternoon we will debate the motion:

"It is teachers not government that prevent innovative technology changing
education."

There will also be two keynote speakers. Please check the conference site
for confirmed speakers and more details regarding the event. Registration
is now open!!! Refreshments and lunch are included in the price: 80.00
(academic); 200.00 (commercial); 40.00 (members of Oxford University)

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk:81/ltg/events/beyond2005/

The Beyond Conferences have now been running for 9 years at Oxford
University. See:

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/events/beyond2004/previous.htm

For any questions related to either event contact [log in to unmask]; tel:
+44 (0)1865 273221.