On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, Pete Johnston wrote:

>> On the other hand, the problem with using
>> a very generic link type like 'meta' is that robots have to visit the
>> linked metadata before they can determine if it is useful to
>> them (i.e.
>> they might find LOM/XML, they might find DC/XML or they might find
>> something else at the end of the link).
>
> The proposal also recommends including a LOM/XML-specific MIME type
>
> <link rel="ieeelommetadata" type="application/ieeelom+xml" title="LOM
> Metadata" href="lom.xml" />
>
> and says they both "shall" be used.
>
> So the crawler could use that MIME info to decide whether it wants to
> dereference the target URI. I don't see why it needs _both_ the
> LOM-specific rel attribute value and the LOM/XML specific MIME type.

Duh... sorry.  Yes you're absolutely right.  (It'd help if I actually read
the thing before commenting!).

I note that application/ieeelom+xml doesn't appear to be a registered MIME
type.  Is it being registered?  (I guess that we should similarly think
about registering something like application/dc+xml for the non-RDF XML
encoding of Dublin Core - the RDF encodings of DC can use
application/rdf+xml, which is registered?).

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell