Dear Ruby,

Here are some additional publications that discuss Chumash swordfish
hunting.  These studies are based primarily on archaeological data.

Bernard, J.  2004  Status and the Swordfish:  The Origins of Large-Species
Fishing among the Chumash.  In Foundations of Chumash Complexity, edited by
J. E. Arnold.  Perspectives in California Archaeology, Volume 7.  Cotsen
Institute of ARchaeology, University of California, Los Angeles.

Hildebrandt, W. R., and K. R. McGuire   2001.  Ascendance of Hunting during
the California Middle Archaic:  An Evolutionary Perspective.  American
Antiquity 67(2):231-256.

Noah, A. C.  2003. Status and Fish Consumption:  Inter-household
Variability in a Simple Chiefdom Society on the California
Coast.  Presencia de la Arqueoichtiología en México, edited by Anna Fabiola
Guzmán, Óscar J. Polaco, and Felisa J. Aguilar.  Libro de Memorias de la
12a Reunión del Grupo de Trabajo en Restos de Peces del Consejo
Internacional para la Arqueozoología, Guajalajara, Jalisco, México,
September 4-12, 2003.  Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia and
Museo de Paleontología de Guadalajara Federico A. Solórzano Barreto.

My dissertation discusses swordfish hunting in much greater detail than
what I presented at the ICAZ Fish Remains Working Group meeting in
Guadalajara.  (It should be completed in the next couple months.)

Best wishes,
Anna Noah