In a message dated 3/2/2005 2:11:04 P.M. Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
Dear Erik,

I don't have a sample of modern cattle metapodials to provide but I was
wondering whether you are aware of the important Munich dissertation carried
out on modern cattle by Fock (1966) Metrische Untursuchungen an Metapodien
einiger europaischer Rinderrassen. I don't have a copy but maybe somebody from
Munich may be able to help?

There is also a French dissertation by Claude Guintard entitled "Etude
Osteometrique des Metapodes de Bovins: la race Charolaise". Not sure whether
this has ever been published, does anybody know?

A few years ago I wrote a paper on the subject which includes more references:
Albarella, U. 1997. Shape variation of cattle metapodials: age, sex or breed?
Some examples from Medieval and Postmedieval sites. Anthropozoologica, 25-26,
pp.37-47

I would be very interested to see the results of your work.

Cheers,
Umberto
I have your 1997 paper, and in fact another of my hopes for the assemblages I'm working with is to apply the methods you describe to the question of multiple cattle populations during the Roman period. The initial results seem promising, despite small samples, but I want to get a little clearer about the sex variation before I make too much of it. I believe I've seen the Fock dissertation cited, but haven't seen it. I'll have to look into that.

Erik Filean, M.A.
Department of Anthropology
114 Macbride Hall
The University of Iowa