Dear Zooarchers,

I have found a manubrium of genus Hystrix sp. in a cave of the north of Spain in a Magdalenian level. The problem is that there are not many reference collections and even less including this bone. I would like to know if anyone else has found sternums of Hystrix for making a comparison.

I wonder if a DNA analysis could help me to know more about this strange animal in the Cantabrian Coast although I wouldn’t like to destroy the bone.

Any help will be welcome, thanks,

ANA BELÉN MARÍN ARROYO
Instituto Internacional de Investigaciones Prehistoricas de Cantabria (Unidad Asociada al CSIC)
Universidad de Cantabria
Edificio Interfacultativo
39005 SANTANDER

e-mail: [log in to unmask]