Dear Zooarchers:  A couple of years ago I posted a request for some info on sea urchin remains in archaeology, having been landed with a sackful by an Oxford professor from his Breton site who expected me to know all about them because they were shells... Many of you were kind enough to offer suggestions and lines of inquiry.  The problem of minimum numbers of individuals, size range collected, species identification, and point on the shore exploited were all solved even though the tests were all very fragmentary.  Results coming out soon.  Must sieve to at least 2mm to get results that will allow size reconstruction and hence shore position!

Now one of the great men of sea urchin studies has asked for info about sea urchins used for food (tests and not just loose spines), and I would dearly appreciate any published references or forthcoming results for my own uses.  Prehistoric especially, but I seem to remember some remains from dark age Scottish Isles.

Many thanks.
Greg Campbell