Hello Amanda,
	I cannot answer your question about anadromous fish in the southern
hemisphere, but I feel compelled to clarify several other items of
fact. The Haida are an aboriginal group in Canada, they live in the
Queen Charlotte Islands, and the salmon runs there are not particularly
large because there are not many large rivers in the QCI. The major
salmon rivers drain the mainland of western North America, and their
salmon supported aboriginal groups who now live in the USA and Canada.
As for supporting modern canneries, the Canadian government, at least,
has managed the salmon fishery as badly as it has the Atlantic cod
fishery, so there are not that many canneries now either. Do sturgeon
in Europe migrate to the sea and return to fresh water? North American
sturgeon do not. Regards, Greg Monks, Professor, Anthropology
Department, University of Manitoba, Canada.