Dear Katerina

There's some evidence of rodent consumption from southern Africa.

Shortridge (1934:vol I, 240) mentions vlei rat being caught and eaten in
Botswana, in his book on the former South West Afrca, now Namibia. "Vlei" is
an Afrikaans word for marsh or wetland:

"The Okavango Native Tribes burn off the reed-beds during the dry season,
and, with the aid of dogs, capture enormous numbers of Otomys [vlei rats] …;
these are eaten and form an important meat supply.”

The reference;

Shortridge, G. C. 1934. The mammals of South West Africa. Volume I. London:
William Heinemann.

Then is there an insightful article by prof. Chris Henshilwood, which
describes the capturing and cooking of Cape dune mole-rats near Blombos
Cave, southern Cape, South Africa. Mole-rats are fairly large (larger than
vlei rats), weighing on average 900g. Interestingly, prepared (cooked)
mole-rats typically show burning of the incisors and premaxilla;

Henshilwood, C. S. 1997. Identifying the collector: evidence for human
processing of the Cape dune mle-rat, Bathyergus suillus, from Blombos Cave,
Southern Cape, South Africa. Journal of Archaeological Science
24(7):659-662.

Lee's ethnographical work on the San of Botswana describes the hunting and
preparing of porcupines, the largest rodent of southern Africa. These weigh
some 13-27 kg!

All best,
Shaw

Mr. Shaw Badenhorst