Hello all,

I have a general enquiry regarding the interpretative frameworks by which we
'judge' our data.  I am looking to find which people regularly use, and also if
anyone has any new, funky ways of analysing data.

As far as I am aware we collect our data - I am trying to avoid the
quantification debate - attempt to compensate/account for taphonmy and recovery
and apply a series of models and try to describe what was  happening.....

So what are your favourites - I guess I tend to stick to age
structures/production models - Legge/Payne and then to account for body parts I
use percentage relative abundance of elements to present the data (i.e. how many
of each body part should there be based on the MNE/MNI and how many are there -
after Brain) to present the data.  I rarely work on pre-Neolithic sites with
enough bone to examine hunter/prey relationships.

Then I guess I scratch my head trying to factor in bone density and taphonomy
etc.  Use my knowledge of the sites, think about preservation etc, muse about
sexual composition, visit Ethnography/Anthropology a little (e.g. Binford) to
think about butchery and rubbish disposal and come up with a story.....OK so
that's not quite it - but that's a reasonable quick description.

I know that there are slightly different approaches around the world, and any
person choice will depending on site type and date, personal preferences and
where you were taught the discipline or which lab you practised it in.

If people could indicate their 'range of conceptual frameworks' that they
commonly use it would be very interesting - I don't want a bibliography I just
want to know the main concepts around which you base your data interpretation
i.e. what are the commonly repeated elements of you bibliography?

So if you have a spare moment - do tell.

Jacqui

Jacqui Mulville,
Lecturer in Bioarchaeology,
Examinations Officer