-----Original Message-----
From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of S H-D
Sent: 02 November 2005 00:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] British archaeological urchins

Hi Greg, I'm not surprised either - tho' I always look if offered the
'its only a bag of shells can you do them as well' samples. You may well
be correct in some aspects, but I also wonder if, where sieving and
collection of everything (even fossils!) is routine (eg here in
Southampton) and they still aren't there, it must be either lack of
exploitation or lack of survival. If I had access to all the lovely
fish, oysters, meat, poultry, cereals fruit etc found locally I wouldnt
bother with watery bits of urchins (which are not actually that easily
available here anyway!).  PS yes isn't it amazing how excited people get
about grotty bits of broken pot when there are so many beautiful bones
etc....  and who was it said a ditch had
straight sides - you use a spade to do this.....?   ;) Sheila

SH-D ArchaeoZoology
http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk/
All mail virus and spam checked