Dear Sheila,

Oh Good, somebody does care! From the description it sounds like
stockfish or something very like- for stockfish prep the atlas usually
goes with the head (and is missing in the final product) and some of the
upper (thoracic) verts tend to go too so our medieval Icelandic
producing sites are full of atlas and heads. The size range is just
perfect for classic stockfish too, and we know that the dried cod was
used extensively for military and naval provisioning in the middle ages,
so potentially you are looking a dried stockfish rather than salted cod.
If it were flat dried rotscher or flat dried and salted klipfisk you
would be missing all the thoracic verts and have only the cleithra and
caudal verts. I wonder if the Tudor navy was consuming Nordic stockfish
via the Germans or Dutch?

Many thanks, will try to get the volume which sounds very cool.

Best

Tom

Thomas H McGovern

Professor,

Dept of Anthropology Hunter College CUNY

Archaeology Coordinator,

CUNY Doctoral Program in Anthropology

Coordinator, North Atlantic Biocultural Organization

Address:

Anthropology Dept.

Hunter College

695 Park Ave. NYC 10021 USA