-----Original Message-----
From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marsha Levine
Sent: 17 August 2005 17:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Ankylosing Spondylitis

Theo de Jong studied a number of Medieval horse skeletons from Eindhoven

with this sort of condition. The fusion of the vertebrae was very
extensive. I don't know where/if he has published this material.

Regards,
Marsha Levine

On Aug 17 2005, Erik Filean wrote:

>In a message dated 8/17/2005 7:30:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
> As part of a course on human palaeopathology I ran into a condition
> called Ankylosing Spondylitis. I believe this has been referred to
from
> time to time in animal palaeopathology as well, however the aetiology
of
> the condition in humans was believed to be associated with the tissue
> HLA-B27. There was some debate about whether such a tissue is also
found
> in animals and thus, should we be using this terminology for
conditions
> in animals? The term is often equated with 'bamboo spine', a
description
> also used to describe the ankylosis of the vertebrae in humans, but is
it
> truly the same condition or not? Does anyone have any ideas?
>

> This is a tough question to answer, because it appears that there is
> no
> consensus as to the cause of the condition in some animals. A few
months
> ago, I had posted here about a case of ankylosing spondylitis in L5-L6
of
> a 10-year-old male horse from Roman Nijmegen; the responses were
> informative, but not conclusive. In horses, it appears that many
regard
> ankylosing spondylitis as a pathology, albeit one that may appear more

> frequently and in more advanced states in riding animals or riding
> breeds. Melanie Wilson did point out, though, that the condition may
> serve to reinforce the rear of the spine and has been considered
> desirable in certain breeds of Spanish military horse and their modern

> descendants.
>
> I've more recently seen another case of ankylosing spondylitis of
> L5-L6
> in a modern male horse donated to our comparative collection
(University
> of Iowa). I don't know the breed, but the veterinarian who provided it

> works with many show horses, so it was very possibly another riding
> animal. The animal was comparatively young, though; the mandibular
> canines were erupting at the time of death.
>
>In case they're of any use, here are some archaeological and veterinary
>references for horses:
>

> BARTOSIEWICZ, LASZLO, AND BARTOSIEWICZ, GABOR. 2002. "Bamboo spine" in

> migration period horse from Hungary. Journal of Archaeological Science

> 29: 819-30. JEFFCOT, L. B. 1978. Disorders of the equine thoracolumbar

> spine - a review. Journal of Equine Medicine and Surgery 2: 9-19.
> JEFFCOT, L. B. 1979. Back problems in the horse - a look at past,
present
> and future progress. Equine Veterinary Journal 3: 129-36. JEFFCOT, L.
B.
> 1980. Disorders of the thoracolumbar spine of the horse - a survey of
443
> cases. Equine Veterinary Journal 12: 197-210. JEFFCOT, L. B., AND
DALIN,

--
Dr. Marsha Levine, McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research
University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3ER, England