In a message dated 8/17/2005 7:30:53 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

As part  of a course on human palaeopathology I ran into a condition called
Ankylosing  Spondylitis. I believe this has been referred to from time to time
in animal  palaeopathology as well, however the aetiology of the condition in
humans was  believed to be associated with the tissue HLA-B27. There was some
debate about  whether such a tissue is also found in animals and thus, should
we be using  this terminology for conditions in animals? The term is often
equated with  'bamboo spine', a description also used to describe the ankylosis
of the  vertebrae in humans, but is it truly the same condition or not? Does
anyone  have any ideas?

This is a tough question to answer, because it appears that there is  no
consensus as to the cause of the condition in some animals. A few months ago,  I
had posted here about a case of ankylosing spondylitis in L5-L6 of a
10-year-old male horse from Roman Nijmegen; the responses were informative, but  not
conclusive. In horses, it appears that many regard ankylosing spondylitis as  a
pathology, albeit one that may appear more frequently and in more advanced
states in riding animals or riding breeds. Melanie Wilson did point out, though,
 that the condition may serve to reinforce the rear of the spine and has been
 considered desirable in certain breeds of Spanish military horse and their
modern descendants.

I've more recently seen another case of ankylosing spondylitis of L5-L6 in  a
modern male horse donated to our comparative collection (University of Iowa).
 I don't know the breed, but the veterinarian who provided it works with many
 show horses, so it was very possibly another riding animal. The animal was
comparatively young, though; the mandibular canines were erupting at the time
of  death.

In case they're of any use, here are some archaeological and veterinary
references for horses:

BARTOSIEWICZ,  LASZLO, AND BARTOSIEWICZ, GABOR. 2002. "Bamboo spine" in a
migration period  horse from Hungary. Journal of Archaeological Science 29:
819-30.
JEFFCOT,  L. B. 1978. Disorders of the equine thoracolumbar spine - a review.
Journal  of Equine Medicine and Surgery 2: 9-19.
JEFFCOT,  L. B. 1979. Back problems in the horse - a look at past, present
and future  progress. Equine Veterinary Journal 3: 129-36.
JEFFCOT,  L. B. 1980. Disorders of the thoracolumbar spine of the horse - a
survey of 443  cases. Equine Veterinary Journal 12: 197-210.
JEFFCOT,  L. B., AND DALIN, G. 1980. Natural rigidity of the horse's
backbone. Equine  Veterinary Journal 12: 101-8.
STECHER,  R. M. 1961. Ankylosing lesions of the spine of the horse. Journal
of the  American Veterinary Medical Association 138: 248-55.
TOWNSEND,  H. G. G., AND LEACH, D. H. 1982. Relationship between
intervertebral joint  morphology and mobility in the equine thoracolumbar spine. Equine
Veterinary  Journal 16: 461-65.
Best,
Erik

"...and those that would not bond with us, we ate."
- Harry,  Third Rock from the Sun -