Hello zooarchaeologists,
Might anyone know of ethnographic, actualistic, or archaeological resources
on stewed meats.  I am specifically interested in finding out what the bones
look like afterwards, such as butchery patterns, "potsizing", etc.  The most
I am aware of is the speculation that small bone fragments at American slave
quarters were the residues of African-style stews.. but this was an
interpretation ignorant of the taphonomic processes that created the small
bone fragments.  Also, do any historic cookbooks describe how to prepare
meat for a stew?  I am specifically looking for 17th/18th century accounts
or parallels, but any region or time period would be most helpful.

Thank you for any help.  Adam Heinrich