Dear Terry,

I think that you are right about that. That is why I didn't use the term
myself. The fusion of various vertebrae in a horse spine (sometimes only 2
vertebrae and sometimes many more) does occur and it is very interesting.
It may be related to the use of the horse as a work animal, but it may have
other causes. Calling it 'ankylosing spondylitis' suggests that we know
more about it than we really do.

Marsha

--
Dr. Marsha Levine, McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research
University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3ER, England