To the best of my knowledge, no comparable increase in deer remains has been identified in the Late Roman period in the Dutch Rhineland. Roel Lauwerier might have more details than I have.

Erik

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian L. Baxter <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:55:33 EDT
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] Deer remains as late Roman stress indicators

An ongoing large scale excavation of an Iron Age and Romano-British settlement at St Neots undertaken by Cambridge County Council Archaeological Field Unit has uncovered considerable quantities of antler craft waste together with significant quantities of deer bones, including complete skeletons, in late Roman ditch and well fills. Does anyone know of any studies of increases of deer remains in the late Roman period since the 1981 paper by Annie Grant in which she suggested that such increases were stress indicators?

Ian L. Baxter