I'm looking for some help in explaining possible dietary differences
between horses and cattle/sheep.  My research area is stable isotope
analysis & I need to consider possible causes for the carbon differences
often seen between horses and these other two grazers.  Can anybody point
me in the right direction for literature references which might answer
questions such as: do horses graze to a different level of a grass (i.e.
more or less close to ground level) than cattle/sheep?  Do they have a
higher water requirement, so that they might regularly graze closer to
watercourses?  Are they more likely (in a prehistoric context) to have
been fed regularly with stored feed?  Are they more/less likely to feed in
shady conditions than cattle/sheep? (I'm particularly interested in that
question).

Grateful for any leads on where best to look for this kind of information.

Mandy