There are a couple of papers on the subject of fractures, therapeutic intervention and human maltreatment of animals in the recently published ICAZ Proceedings:

Teegan, W-R. 2005. Rib and vertebral fractures in medieval dogs from Haithabu, Starigard and Schleswig, pp 34-38. In Davies, J., Fabis, M., Mainland, I., Richards, M. and Thomas, R. (eds.). Diet and Health in Past Animal Populations: Current Research and Future Directions. Oxford: Oxbow Books.

Udrescu, M, and Van Neer, W. 2005. Looking for human therapeutic intervention in the healing of fractures of domestic animals, pp 24-33. In Davies, J., Fabis, M., Mainland, I., Richards, M. and Thomas, R. (eds.). Diet and Health in Past Animal Populations: Current Research and Future Directions. Oxford: Oxbow Books.

Also, Brothwell (1993: 37), in his overview of avian osteopathology, quotes the case of Mexican macaws from Arizona whose stress arthropathies and healed trauma are hypothesised to relate to their transport during trade and exchange.

Brothwell, D. 1993. Avian osteopathology and its evaluation. Archaeofauna 2: 33-43.

Stephanie Vann