The call for papers below is sent to colleagues *across modern
languages* from WISPS.
(I think it looks fascinating and would be very interested in
co-presenting something if any other WIGS member is interested ...)
Best, Sarah Colvin

WOMEN IN SPANISH, PORTUGUESE AND LATIN-AMERICAN STUDIES

VI ANNUAL CONFERENCE

21st-CENTURY GIRLS?
WOMEN IN MODERN LANGUAGES:
ADDRESSING THE FUTURE, ASSESSING THE PAST

October 14-15 2005
Institute of Germanic and Romance Studies University of London

CALL FOR PAPERS

WiSPS (Women in Spanish, Portuguese and Latin-American Studies) invite
colleagues from across the Modern Languages to join us in reflecting on
the past, present and future of women in Modern Languages. We welcome
papers that consider, critique, and compare women's multiple and
sometimes conflicting roles in the field - whether as objects of study
or as active professionals. We positively encourage alternative paper
formats such as work in progress, round tables, dialogues and
reflections, and invite both individual contributions and partly or
fully formed panels.

Topics for discussion may include (but are not limited to) the following
broad areas:

q Professional practice
q Methodology
q Feminist theory
q Collaborations q Images of women
q Histories of women
q The future of women's studies in ML
q The history of women's studies in ML

Proposals (working on a basis of 20-minute blocks of time) should
include a title, an abstract of about 300 words, and your full contact
details (including an e-mail). Please send them, by 30 June 2005, to
either of the following:

Kirsty Hooper
School of Modern Languages
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
L69 7ZR

Claire Williams
School of Modern Languages
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
L69 7ZR

Please check the WiSPS website for more information:
www.wisps.org.uk

Professor Sarah Colvin
Mason Chair of German
European Languages and Cultures