From: Ann Neilson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tue 2005-09-27 15:09
To: Tavis Reddick
Subject: Re: Integrating distributed websites

Thanks Tavis - that's helpful.  How did you go about deciding which department was allocated which style?  Did depts have an input into the look and feel of their pages or were they presented with a fait accompli?   It seems that all the advice I've had regarding technical issues posed less problems than those of politics and personnel...

I'd welcome any advice on how you tackled the "human element" of going about your merger, if you were involved in the decision making process at all.

Cheers and thanks again

An

Ann Neilson
Web & Database Administrator

UHI Millennium Institute, Executive Office, Ness Walk, Inverness  IV3 5SQ
Institiųd OGE nam Mėle Bliadhna, Oifis-Stiųiridh, Slighe Nis, Inbhir Nis IV3 5SQ

D: +44 (0) 1463 279220
F: +44 (0) 1463 279001
www.uhi.ac.uk

Creating the University of the Highlands and Islands
A' Cruthachadh Oilthigh na Gaidhealtachd's nan Eilean

A limited company registered in Scotland No 148203.  Recognised Scottish Charity No SC022228
Registered office: Executive Office, 12b Ness Walk, Inverness IV3 5SQn
>>> Tavis Reddick <[log in to unmask]> 26/09/2005 21:29:18 >>>

We recently had to deal with integration of various websites during a college merger, and one of the issues we tackled was that of style.

Our approach was to develop a system of CSS style sheets. Each site's pages had a link to a site stylesheet, that defined body characteristics and imported a set of generic style sheets (shared by one or more sites) and specific style sheets (for that particular site); and in addition each site's pages linked to a single, generic print stylesheet.

The generic stylesheets were for text, forms, images, tables etc., setting out the default size, padding, spacing and so forth. We found it useful to define default colours (we made them greyscale) to make developing overrides simpler.

The specific stylesheets were for layout, links, custom colours and conditional styles. By conditional, I mean that we sometimes had generic or dynamic content that we could assign custom CSS classes to, so that if the same content was served to different (faculty) pages, it would display differently (for example all logos could be served, but some hidden by setting display: none on the (faculty-based) conditional stylesheet).

I'd give the original link to the style guide but the pre-merger site has now been deactivated. You should be able to see the successor system in action on our new site.

Tavis Reddick
www.adamsmithcollege.ac.uk