Damn, and here I was thinking I was being all cutting edge.

As for my comments about production values. I think that matters more when it is being used to market an institution to a very media aware audience. In the same way as we would expect our prospectus' to be a slick well designed piece of marketing material so we should expect the same quality from a Podcast. However for other things like those that you outline below I dont see the need. Its the content that matters.

From: Managing an institutional web site on behalf of Brian Kelly
Sent: Tue 12/07/2005 15:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Have you considered Podcasting?

Hi Paul
   Bizarre, nah, Podcasting is so last week :-)
   A couple of Podcasts were created in advance of last week's Institutional Web Management Workshop - see
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/workshops/webmaster-2005/podcasts/
  Note that the quality of the first 3 isn't very good (I agree with your comment of the importance of the production quality), but Adrian Stevenson's pub guide is very good (he used to be in the music business).
   I also gave out an Introduction To Podcasting briefing sheet - see

http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/qa-focus/documents/briefings/briefing-83/

It gives some scenarios for use of Podcasting - but I didn't cover student recruoitment.  But I agree that this could be an important area.

Thanks for raising this sueggestion.

Brian

PS a colleague Derek Morrisson has been Podcasting for several months now - see
http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-learning/Download/podcasts/auriclepodcasts.xml

---------------------------------------
Brian Kelly
UK Web Focus