Hello Everybody,

Apologies in advance if this seems like an inappropriate or OT question.

I am currently engaged in a PhD concerned with constructing metrics to measure
the quality of web systems. As a part of my work I would like to
ask some web development professionals who have responsibility for web site
development on a larger scale how they would judge quality in their
projects. This would be used in conjunction with some work I have already done
to identify some possible candidate metrics, in order to see if they are useful.

I have to qualify this slightly as I am not particularly interested in the
experience from the end user's point of view (Neilsen and others
have done lots of this already), but from the point of view of those who build
the sites - the developers and project managers. This is rather
like asking an electrical engineer or electrician how well wired a house is, as
opposed to asking those who live there if it's a nice house I am
interested in how you would classify a project as being either well or badly
constructed, for instance in terms of file organisation, use of
repeated or included elements, document validity and doctypes used to consider a
few.

From a purely anecodtal point of view I am interested in what list members would
judge to be important criteria in making the decision as
to whether a site or project is "well-engineered" or not. I would also
appreciate questions as to whether my approach is too widely ranged and
whether clarification would be needed.

Darren Stephens BSc MSc MBCS
Centre for Internet Computing
University of Hull