Hi folks,

A College Head at my institution has questioned why, when he enters
'Postgraduate Study' and 'UK' into Google, our site does not appear unto
the 10th page of results. A familiar scenario for most of us, I'm sure.

Leaving aside the advisability of such a generic search, I admit that
postgraduate information is not well structured or organised on our server,
and I suspect this is the reason that we are ranked so poorly. The College
Head, however, believes we can improve our ranking in Google and increase
hits to the site in the short term, without immediately addressing these
problems. My opinion is that Google will not rank us highly if ultimately
there is no well structured, meaningful information to link to. This is to
an extent borne out by other well-structured, well-maintained sites on our
server which do rank well in Google.

Nevertheless both he and I are curious to know whether certain sites that
appear in the first two pages of results take active steps to 'court'
Google, other than the standard good practice of well-structured, valid
code and content etc. Does anyone use AdWords or Google Sitemaps for example?

Sites that fare well at the minute include:

Warwick
Newcastle
Cardiff
Manchester
Swansea
Edinburgh.
Nottingham
Sussex
RGU
Cranfield
Surrey
Glasgow

If you can reply to me off-list, I will summarise back to the list if I get
any useful information.

Thanks,

Mike

------------
Mike McConnell
Web Team Manager
University of Aberdeen

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/web/

Directorate of Information Systems and Services
Edward Wright Building
Dunbar Street
Aberdeen
AB24 3UF