At 9:45 am +0100 13/7/05, Adrian Stevenson wrote:
>Hi
>
>>     I don't think that the centrally-provided information
>>  resource is the route we should be going down.
>>     Providers of training courses, conferences, etc. should be
>>  providing RSS feeds - for example, Netskills have RSS feeds
>>  of their forthcoming workshops which could be embedded in your page.
>
>Yes that helps to some extent, but isn't there still the problem of not
>knowing about what you don't know about?  If you've not heard about
>Netskills then you won't have subscribed to their feed.  It's very hard to
>believe I know, but some peole haven't heard of IWMW.
>
>>     But I'm also beginning to think that community-provided
>>  information has an important role to play e.g. harvesting of
>>  Blogs, use of Folksonomies, etc.  So rather than expecting
>>  others to do the work,
>
>That's part of your job isn't it :-)
>
>>  or trapping data in unstructured email
>>  environments, if we make use of applications such as Flicker,
>>  del.ico.us, etc. the wider community can benefit.
>>    Incidentally, if you Google for 'iwmw 2005'  apart from my
>>  Web site you find several Blog articles, several RSS reads -
>>  but nothing from this list and little from other Web sites.
>>  So valuable comments, questions, advice, etc. is findable if
>>  it's Blogged - but disappeared when it goes into a mailing
>>  list black hole.  Time for a different approach?
>
>The unstructuredness of emails is the problem.  It would be handy if someone
>or something could bring it all together so you can get to hear about events
>that you might not otherwise.  Maybe UKOLN or someone could set up a wiki
>page for UK HE and FE web events or a blog that the community can add to
>that's more findable by Google as you say.  I imagine some people don't want
>their comments to findable though.

Maybe something a bit more structured, like an event calendar?
Possibly that's *too* structured.

I think this is a really good idea, but I'm now just going to hide
under my desk until someone else does it...

Helen Varley Sargan
Information Provision & Webmaster
University Computing Service
New Museums Site             email [log in to unmask]
Pembroke St                        [log in to unmask]
Cambridge CB2 3QH            Phone 01223 334480