Typically you can run a PCA and use the scores of PCA to run SVM and display the decision boundaries based on SVM's results on the PCA scores.  This can give you a rough  idea about the overall structure of the data.

Chang Hsiung
Smiths Detection

-----Original Message-----
From: The Support Vector Machine discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Ramzi Fayad
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 7:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: important question

Dear all,

maybe it is a trivial question to many of you, but it is really driving me up the wall,

in SVM classification, as far as my knowledge, we do usually consider a vector of input = [ X1 X2 ] and output = [Y]
and it performs us to draw as in 2d dimensions.

my first question please, would SVM able to classify data if input = [X1 X2 ----- X6] and output = [Y]
and if it is possible i would assume it is impossible to draw that,

is there anyway to draw it or we just have to draw 2 vector at a time, like considering X2 vs X1 then X3 vs X1 and so on

my second question, i did understand very well how to classifiy linearly seperable case, but i still cant understand the nonlinear case,and how we transfer it into antoher dimension

can someone please tell me briefly how does it work in simple english.  cos since it get to formulas and stuff i feel totally lost.

thank you very much for you help in advance,

have a good day

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.