Dear Steve,

> I am using the optimized scripts available for download.  After creating the
> template and then running the optimized vbm script, do I need to create
> estimated statistical models for each brain/subject or can I just get right
> to the basic stats? In other words do I have to do some sort of 1st level
> analysis before moving to the group analysis?  I don't see how I would do
> that, but wanted to make sure before I proceeded any further.

No, you don't need a 1st level analysis, and, as you pointed out, there are also not much possibilities to do this.
So, VBM analyses are usually group statistics, based on the segmented images. Which model you should select depends on your research question, but good starting points are a two-sample t-test or an ANCOVA model, when you would like to use the brain volume as covariate.

Good luck,

Karsten

Karsten Specht, PhD

Department of Biological and Medical Psychology
& National Competence Centre for functional MRI
University of Bergen
Jonas Lies vei 91
5009 Bergen
Norway