I can second this. We use SATA raid5 locally in our fMRI-server, continuously running without probs so far.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping)
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]Namens hao zhang
Verzonden: woensdag 30 maart 2005 9:24
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [SPM] SATA vs SCSI and local HD vs NAS

Agree with Russ.

I used PC/SATA under Linux while ago, felt much faster than Sun/Blade
workstation.  Additional to adding RAID box to your workstation,
attaching a external harddisk via USB2 or Firewire port should be also
a convenient option, though I never really compared there two options.

Regards,
Zhang Hao

--
Zhang Hao M.D. M.Sc.