Dear Jan,

Your hunch is correct. These strange looking contrasts that are
created automatically look strange because they have been operated upon
by SPMs estimate of the error covariance (nonsphericity).

I would ignore them and specify my own contrasts.

An identity matrix that spans the whole design matrix may not be valid
as eg. the column of 1's may be perfectly collinear with combinations of
other columns.

You could instead specify different contrasts that span the variables of
interest eg. the F-contrast

[1 -1 0; 0 1 -1]

for a 1 x 3 ANOVA.

Best,

Will.

--
William D. Penny
Wellcome Department of Imaging Neuroscience

Tel: 020 7833 7475
FAX: 020 7813 1420
Email: [log in to unmask]