From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Satoru Hayasaka
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] SVC procedure in VBM

At 10:39 AM 2/22/2005 -0800, Matthew Brett wrote:
>Thanks very much for this - it's very helpful.  Do you have a view on
>the extent of the problem if you simply assume that the image is
>stationary, at 8mm, 12mm smoothing?

I happened to have a VBM data set, smoothed with 12mm. I took a look at
the
RPV image, and I can tell that my data set is not stationary. The
smoothest
spot has FWHM about 30mm and the least smooth spot has FWHM about 12mm.
So
I don't think a heavy smoothing induces stationarity, and simply
assuming
stationarity could lead to biased results in a cluster size test. The
p-values are underestimated for clusters in smooth areas, and are
overestimated for clusters in rough areas. You are more likely to detect
clusters in smooth areas than the ones in rough areas.

A voxel-height test, on the other hand, seems to be robust to
non-stationarity. But if it is to be used in an SVC context, I suggest
re-calculating the average smoothness in an ROI, just in case that the
ROI
happens to be in a smooth / rough spot.

-Satoru

Post-Doctoral Fellow, MR Unit, UCSF / VA Medical Center
Email: shayasak_at_itsa_dot_ucsf_dot_edu        Phone:(415) 221-4810
x4237
Homepage: http://www.sph.umich.edu/~hayasaka