RE: [SPM] about TR

Leina:

Robert has given some reasons to acquire several slices and use at least a moderate TR of ~1 s.  You want to make sure that TR > 3T2, otherwise you may get unwanted echoes interfering with your data.  This sets a minimum TR ~ 300 ms.  The following arguments consider only SNR, not unwanted echoes or the number of slices.  This SNR is for averaging multiple acquisitions, but the results should be applicable to multiple acquisitions that are processed separately instead of being averaged.  For more information, see [Kingsley PB. Signal intensities and T1 calculations in multiple-echo sequences with imperfect pulses. Concepts Magn Reson 1999; 11: 29-49.]

No matter how many slices you choose to acquire, once you have chosen a TR, the optimum SNR is given by the Ernst angle, cos(theta) = exp(-TR/T1). [Ernst RR, Anderson WA. Application of Fourier transform spectroscopy to magnetic resonance. Rev Sci Instr 1966; 37: 93-102.]  Some approximate results are

TR/T1                   :4      2       1       0.5     0.3
angle (degrees) :89     82      68      53      42
Alternatively, you can set a flip angle, then choose the TR/T1 that gives the best SNR.  Some approximate results are
angle (degrees) :90     60      45      30
TR/T1                   :1.25   0.86    0.77    0.72
Notice that setting TR/T1 and calculating the optimum theta does not give the same result as setting theta and calculating the optimum TR/T1.

If you are considering a range of T1, such as WM ~ 700 and GM ~ 1200, I suggest using the longer T1 in the Ernst formula.

You can compare the "average SNR per unit time" for any given pair of theta and TR/T1 from the formula
SNR ~ {sin(theta)[1-exp(-TR/T1)]/[1-cos(theta)*exp(-TR/T1)]}/sqrt(TR)

These formulas apply to a single-pulse (gradient echo) acquisition.  For spin-echo, see the Concepts Magn Reson paper for more details.

-----
Peter B. Kingsley, MRI Physicist      [log in to unmask]
Department of Radiology / MRI
North Shore University Hospital
300 Community Drive, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Tel (516) 562-2842       Fax (516) 562-3561