Hi there,

> Unfortunately my scan not only consists of just 20 slices, these slices
> are of bad quality due to some motion of the patient. Therefore the
> segmentation of gray/white/CSF was not very successful.

I can imagine... remember that segmentation in spm internally implies a
quick and dirty normalization to allow for an overlay of the priors, so
if you normalize poorly, your segmentation will be off for that reason
alone. This should be better in spm5, as far as I gather.

> I therefore have two questions:
> 1. What can be done to increase the quality of the segmentation under such
> conditions? And, once i've done the segmentation, how do I use it to
> normalize my images?

You would use it by normalizing the segmented GM to a normalized GM
prior (e.g., the gray.mnc image in teh apriori directory).

> 2. Is there any other way to get a acceptable normalization under such
> conditions?

If you have acceptable anatomical data, you could try coregistering
these images to the EPIs, then normalize the anatomical and apply the
parameter to the functionals. Just a thouhgt, but if you have that data,
it may be worthwhile.
Best,
Marko
Marko Wilke                                            (Dr.med./M.D.)

Universitäts-Kinderklinik              University Children's Hospital
Abt. III (Neuropädiatrie)             Dept. III (Pediatric neurology)
             Hoppe-Seyler-Str. 1, D - 72076 Tübingen
Tel.: (+49) 07071 29-83416                   Fax: (+49) 07071 29-5473