>If you think the neural processes engaged by your trials
>last more than ~1s, then you should model them as epochs (ie
>duration>0), rather than events (duration 0). This is
>because the predicted BOLD response, after convolving your
>"neural model" with your "haemodynamic model" (eg, SPM's
>canonical HRF), will differ in shape for events >~1s.

Rik said it is better to use durations equal to the RT
if the real neural response in the ROI
take time longer than 1s (or much longer than the length of
time bin, I think).

What if there are two regions of intersest
and they are expected to engage in neural activitis
of different durations?
For example, what if one region is related to very short
neural activity (e.g., identifying digits) and the other
is responsibe for somewhat longer activity (e.g., calculation)?

>Note however that this model will not be as good for other
>brain regions in which the response is more transient (e.g,
>in V1, if the visual stimulus in each trial is brief). (See
>Question VII at the end of
>http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/Imaging/Common/fMRI-efficiency.shtml
>for more details).

My guess is that we can test both models (one uses 0 durations
and the other uses RT durations).
The duration=0 model tells us regions which are related
to a very short cognitive process and the duration=RT model
shows regions responsible for somewhat longer cognitive
process.

Is my guess correct?

Atsushi -

Yes, you could include two regressors with the same onsets - one
modelling events, and one modelling epochs with durations equal to
the RT for each trial. The two will be correlated, so you may have
little power to detect unique effects of each, but if you have a
reasonable distribution of RTs across trials, the correlation will
not be excessive (and you could orthogonalise one with respect to
the other if you want to prioritise one).

Note that if RTs are <~2s, this model will actually resemble a model
with one regressor for the events, and a second regressor representing
a "parametric modulation" by the RT per trial. In this model, the parametric
modulation is orthogonalised with respect to the event regressor, and
will capture additional activity proportional to RT (i.e, neural duration).

If the RTs are >~2s, then the two models above will start to differ,
because the former, but not the latter, allows for the change in shape
of the BOLD response for longer durations of neural activity.

Best wishes
Rik

Dr Richard Henson
MRC Cognition & Brain Sciences Unit