Siobhan/Lee -

If you think the neural processes engaged by your trials last more than ~1s, then you should model them as epochs (ie duration>0), rather than events (duration 0). This is because the predicted BOLD response, after convolving your "neural model" with your "haemodynamic model" (eg, SPM's canonical HRF), will differ in shape for events >~1s.

So if you think that the neural processes of interest in your trials last until the response is made, then choose durations equal to the RT.

Note however that this model will not be as good for other brain regions in which the response is more transient (e.g, in V1, if the visual stimulus in each trial is brief). (See Question VII at the end of http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/Imaging/Common/fMRI-efficiency.shtml for more details).

Regarding the use of the partial derivatives of the HRF, the dispersion derivative will be unable to capture such large changes in shape that arise for neural durations >~2s.

Including derivatives can change the results (of a T-test on the canonical HRF) if their regressors are correlated with that for the HRF. The basis functions themselves are orthogonalised by SPM, but there are situations where the regressors become correlated after convolving the basis functions with the "neural model": 1) when there is a non-random ordering of different event-types, 2) when there is large undersampling of the response (ie, the effective sampling rate is too low), 3) when the neural model is an epoch of >1s rather than an event.

The fact that your results are changing dramatically with the inclusion of the derivative suggests that one of the above applies.

Bas is correct that collinearity can arise for one of the above reasons, though I would add that collinearity is usually minimal, even for rapid ER designs, for true events (duration 0) whose types are randomly ordered (as is common).

Note however that such collinearity is NOT a problem, if you use F-tests to make inferences - ie tests that include all the basis functions (canonical HRF + derivatives). This is because such tests "include" the "shared" variance (whereas T-tests only test the "unique" variance associated with a regressor).

Finally, if you want to stick with T-tests on the canonical HRF, but you intend to model nonzero durations for your trials, you should probably not include the derivatives. Nonzero durations introduce correlation between the regressors (point 3 above), as was noted by Jesper:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind04&L=SPM&P=R351987&I=-3

Hope this helps
Rik

Dr Richard Henson