My best guess is that the data were converted to NIFTI format by doing some
processing within SPM5.  This would change the origin fields in the headers
to something that SPM2 doesn't understand - therefore giving the spatial
normalisation some extremely bad starting estimates.  The Check reg button
should illustrate this.

Best regards,
-John