From: Belinda Liddell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:
Wednesday, July 27, 2005 4:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SPM] Mixed-effects analysis problems

Dear Karl and SPMer’s,

I’m attempting to run a mixed-effects analysis but have run into a problem that appears to be related to the estimation of the variance parameters.

The analysis consists of 10 subjects, where I have 3 conditions: the first 2 conditions are different for each subject (post hoc determination of volumes based on simultaneously recorded physiological data), while the 3rd condition is the same for each subject.  I had thought that given this was an unbalanced design, that a mixed-effects analysis may be the most appropriate method.

I set up and estimated a fixed effects design to obtain my initial spm.m file. Given that each subject was different, I selected “no” to the question “Are these sessions replications”. Following this, I implemented the spm_mfx procedure, which was successful and resulted in obtaining a new spm.m file in a new directory. Following instructions, I tried to estimate this new spm.m file using the normal estimation process in SPM, but it would not work – and gave the following error message:

SPM2: spm_spm (v2.66)                              09:29:33 - 21/07/2005

Initialising parameters                 :                   ...computingWarning: Divide by zero.

(Type "warning off MATLAB:divideByZero" to suppress this warning.)

> In C:\MATLAB6p5p1\toolbox\spm2\spm_spm.m at line 363

??? Index exceeds matrix dimensions.

Error in ==> C:\MATLAB6p5p1\toolbox\matlab\sparfun\spdiags.m

On line 102  ==>       a = [a; i i+d(k) B(i+(m>=n)*d(k),k)];

Error in ==> C:\MATLAB6p5p1\toolbox\spm2\spm_spm.m

On line 419  ==>                      s     = spdiags(1./sqrt(diag(s)),0,nScan,nScan);

??? Error while evaluating uicontrol Callback.

According to an email from Stefan Kiebal (18/2/04), an error like this indicates that there may be too many variance parameters, rendering estimation impossible. These may be increased in my design especially because I indicated that sessions were not replications. In his email, Stefan recommends controlling this by adjusting the selection of non-sphericity corrections. However, this is not possible in the context of a FFX analysis since there are no second level non-sphericity options.

I re-ran the FFX without correcting for serial correlations (AR1). I had thought this might reduce the variance parameters in the model but subsequently learned that spm_mfx has trouble running without pre-whitening the data.

I’m wondering if you might have any suggestions how I may be able to proceed with the mixed effects analysis under these circumstances. I also may have violated an assumption of the mfx process of which I am unaware. Any help that you may be able to give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,

With best regards

Belinda Liddell