On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 16:11:56 -0500, Li, Yu <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear SPMers:
>In fMRI box-car group study, we want to see correlation between each
>subject's activation map  with 2 clinical scores A or B. A and B are
>suppose negative correlated.  I did following 2 tests:
>1. I chose the "simple regression" and enter each subject's "con*.img"
>and corresponding "A" as regressor.
>2. I chosed the "multiple regression" and enter corresponding "A" & "B"
>as regressors.
>The result from 1. with contrast "-1(A)" is different than from 2 with
>contrast " -1(A), 0(B)". Could someone please explain?

If A and B are negatively correlated, the design "2." has
multicollinearity, i.e., A and B are partly confounded with each other.
This will make the results differ as you've noticed.

A commonly cited discussion of this in the context of neuroimaging
is "Ambiguous Results in Functional Neuroimaging Data Analysis Due to
Covariate Correlation," Alexandre Andrade, Anne-Lise Paradis, Stephanie
Rouquette, and Jean-Baptiste Poline, NeuroImage 10, 483–486 (1999).