Dear Claudia,

Let's start from the assumption that the fMRI response is a convolution of a neural response with a hemodynamic impulse response function. I'll also assume that you are modeling each event's response with a single basis function which does not integrate to zero (that is, you could be using additional basis functions to model that event, but they would integrate to zero). Third, I still use SPM99, so the variable names I mention might no longer be appropriate for SPM 2 or 5, but the theory would still hold.

First, you need to determine the integral of this basis function for each event type. This is better done using the basis function representations stored in "Sess" (which can be obtained by loading the SPM.mat file of SPM99 into the MATLAB workspace) than by using the predictors from the low-temporal resolution design matrix. In SPM99, the integral (to within a scaling factor which is the same for every basis function in the design) for the non-zero integrating basis function corresponding to event i  from session j can be obtained with the following code:

Sess_j=Sess{j};
integ_event_i_Sessj=sum(Sess_j.bf{i})

Then it must be decided whether it is of interest to compare between events the integrated neural response OR the neural response averaged over the duration of the events. To help in making this decision, this question is equivalent to asking whether the area under the curve of the neural response or the amplitude of the neural response, respectively, is of interest. I'll tell you that the neural response amplitude is the analogue (making lots of assumptions, though) of spikes/sec in single cell electrophysiological data.

To compare integrated neural responses , the contrast weights for events a and b within session j would be
[integ_event_a_Sessj    -integ_event_b_Sessj].

To compare neural response amplitudes, the contrast weights for events a and b within session j would be
[integ_event_a_Sessj/duration_event_a    -integ_event_b_Sessj//duration_event_b].

I hope this helps,
Eric