Tom,

I have some questions following your reply to Roberto:

1) You mentioned that "permutation methods are exact". Does this statement
mean that p-values can never be underestimated using permutations, or does it
have another meaning? Could you suggest references where this issue is
discussed?

2) The permutation method you suggested for random-effect analysis relies on a
sign exchangeability assumption. As pointed out in one of your articles, this
boils down to assuming that the effect is symetrically distributed in the
population under investigation. When symmetry doesn't hold, we can no longer
claim that the permutation method is "exact" -- am I correct?

3) We, in my lab, have both sign permutation and bootstrap implementations of
RFX analysis. In our experience, the Bootstrap is always (slightly or a lot)
more conservative than sign permutations. But that's an empirical
observation...

Cheers,

Alexis

--