Dear Tom,

I think there are two things that need to be shown to statisfy all
curiosity. A map of %signal change and a logmap of T/Z statistic (or a
map of variability). I am generally in favor of a %signal change map
but the problem lies in the fact that a small change but consistent
change would not necessarily be detected in a %signal change map.
Consistency is what the statistical map shows. That is why Matthew
showed one with the acitivity map on which the threshold was
superimposed. We can extend that to show bands for -log(pvalues) on
it, similar to a terrain map with contour lines on it.

From a functional standpoint we get two different pieces of
information from the two maps. One tells us "how much" and the other
tells us "how reliably".

Satra

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:07:17 -0600, IAIN T JOHNSTONE > One aspect of
the discussion on thresholded versus unthresholded maps