Dear Satrajit & list,

Many thanks for your reply.  Yes, it is odd.  No, I'm not using NFS -
everything is stored locally on an EXT3 formatted SATA disk.  To be
honest, I wouldn't put my hand on my heart and swear that it crashed
"whilst writing to the disk".  It might have crashed just before it
started writing.

I will tinker a bit more tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's
going on.  I'm no Matlab expert... can anyone suggest any particular
functions that I should try to execute?

I'll try to get hold of ICC 8.1 (or whatever the latest version is) and
try compiling my mex files with that.

Just to check that I'm setting OMP_NUM_THREADS correctly... I've written
a little three-line batchscript which reads:

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=2
echo Using $OMP_NUM_THREADS threads
matlab

Is that the correct procedure (I'm using BASH)?

Many thanks,
Jack