Dear Marko, dear Torben

Dear Torben, dear Cyril,

It is difficult to say in general anything about this. If for instance there is no motion at all, then the mask defined by the effects of interest will be very similar in the two cases. In other cases the difference can be huge.

chiming in on this, I have also played with the piece of code Torben so kindly provided and tested it in two simple single-session analyses. There was almost no motion in the first session and quite a bit in the second one.

In both cases, the p-values were identical in both scenarios (subtracting spmT[new way] from spmT[old way] is pretty much an empty image). However, if one checks the effects of interest, the difference in these spmF-images is rather striking and convincing, removing some obvious ring artefacts from the effects of interest. So it does do something.

I also 'played' during the weekend ..

First analyzing another set of data with stronger movements, gave me different p and T values between the new and old motion correction as suggested by Torben in the first e-mail (sorry Marko). However, these differences were not related to the mask (mask new - mask old = 0) ??

Second, the subtraction of different contrasts (con## new - con## old) gave me either positive or negative results in different parts of the brain, but most of the time outside regions 'activated'. My guess is that motion parameters only bias the estimation of regressors of interest and that's why the (con## new - con## old) computation only gave 'strong' differences outside activations. However, I still don't understand the difference in the estimation of these regressors as 'of interest' or 'of no interest' :'(     . If someone (Torben?) could explain me roughly the difference .. Thank you in advance.

Additional question:  if I have a paradigm with 3 conditions, 2 of interest and 1 where my subjects have to answer .. but I don't want to look at this .. could I set this condition as 'of no interest'? what does it means for me when looking at the other two conditions?

Now, I know I am naive about this, but in how far does this help me if I take my (unchanged) con-images to the second level? Any advice is appreciated!
Best,
Marko
If you have really no differences in the con images, it is exactly the same at the second level. Same images.. same results.

Best
  Cyril
--
Pernet Cyril