> I am comparing two sets of  FLAIR data (patient/control) with each other
> (similar to Auer et al., 2001).
>

> The details:
> The data is normalized (to T1), smoothed, but NOT segmented (into grey,
> white matter and CSF) since FLAIR image contrast does not allow for that.
>
> My question:
> I now assume that since I am not dealing with SEGMENTS, but am comparing
> FULL BRAIN data, I am NOT " testing for the increased or decreased
> probability of a voxel being grey (or white) matter" when comparing the two
> groups,
>
> but which probability would I be assessing with difference maps obtained in
> such a fashion?

You would be looking for significant differences in the smoothed and spatially
normalised FLAIR data.  Differences could mean a number of things.  These
include, differences between FLAIR intensity for homologous tissue types, or
differences between the mixture of tissue types within each region (such as a
different proportions of GM, WM and CSF).

Best regards,
-John