Claus -
  I then used an F-contrast (1 0 0; 0 1 0; 0 0 1) testing
for whether
  any of the three regressors explains some variance in my
data.
  In addition, I calculated a T-contrast (1 0 0) for the
canonical hrf only.
  In general, the pattern of results looks very similar for
the two
  contrasts. However, what I do not understand is why the
t-contrast shows some voxels
  and clusters which fail to be significant at all in the
F-contrast.

The reason is that, if the majority of variance is captured
by the canonical HRF, then the T-test is a more sensitive
test of this (it tests only one dimension of the subspace
tested by the F-test, including a specific direction - ie
one-tailed). As you say, if variance loaded on the
derivatives, you could find the opposite pattern of
significance in the F but not T map.

In many conditions, subjects and brain regions, the
canonical HRF does seem the capture the majority of
variance. However, there are some
regions/subjects/conditions where the derivatives capture
additional variance, see, eg, section 3.1 of:

ftp://ftp.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/data/rfx-multiple/rfx-multiple.htm

Rik

Dr Richard Henson
MRC Cognition & Brain Sciences Unit
15 Chaucer Road
Cambridge
CB2 2EF, UK

Tel: +44 (0)1223 355 294 x522
Fax: +44 (0)1223 359 062

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~rik.henson

  I recently reanalyzed data I had modeled before using the
hrf only, this
  time using a model with hrf+temporal and dispersion
derivative.

  According to the suggestions by Rick Henson (e.g.
  ftp://ftp.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/data/rfx-multiple/rfx-multiple.htm)
I set up
  a rfx 2nd level analysis for this.

  I then used an F-contrast (1 0 0; 0 1 0; 0 0 1) testing
for whether
  any of the three regressors explains some variance in my
data.

  In addition, I calculated a T-contrast (1 0 0) for the
canonical hrf only.
  In general, the pattern of results looks very similar for
the two
  contrasts.
  However, what I do not understand is why the t-contrast
shows some voxels
  and clusters which fail to be significant at all in the
F-contrast.

  Shouldn't it be the other way round (if at all)? I.e. that
I see activation
  in the F contrast which I do not see in the T contrast
(with the reason for
  this being that the F test also uses variance explained by
the derivatives)?

  Thx a lot for helping me with this

  claus